Greetings from Kina

This section is intended for international users
chenshifei
Bil: EP3
Namn: Shifei Chen

Hi everyone!

I moved to this country 6 months ago and got a 2004 EP3 Type R. Very happy about it! :D

Bild

But there's a big question in my head even before I bought the car. When I googled about common issues for EP3, there's a lot of discussions on replacing the timing chain after 100k miles (imperial I believe, as most of them were British), or at least change the chain tensioner. But the local Honda dealer here told me I don't have to do so since it's a timing chain and should be maintenance free. The internet somehow rendered changing the timing chain like a "must-do" and I really don't know if it is true.

Do you guys have any ideas?
Mr.nagata
Bil: DC5R
Namn: Simon Janhans

Hello! Welcome to sweden, Thats a nice honda you have there :), in my opinion regarding the timing chain, if it aint making any wierd noises during start up or rattle on idle, id whould not worry about the chain, just keep the oil at maximum and regular oil changes :),
Malkolm
Bil: TEN second car!
Namn: Malkolm Roth

Normally the chain and tensioner needs to be changed at 170.000-220.000km.

In the Accord K24a3 it holds a little longer due to the gearbox ratio makes the rpm lower. Have seen the tensioner brake at 250.000km in Accord 2003.
Användarvisningsbild
Lärfors
Administrator
Bil: 89 Civic Shuttle (EE2)
Namn: Andreas Lärfors

Welcome to the forum! Hope you find the information you need!
Andreas Lärfors : IT ansvarig
chenshifei
Bil: EP3
Namn: Shifei Chen

Thank you all! I'll just forget about the timing chain thing and enjoy vtec power until something really happens :)
Skriv svar